I come from a split family. The family members I chose for my childhood web inspired, influenced, and overall made a huge impact upon my life. The first person I would like to honor is my maternal grandfather. The time I spent with him was a learning experience. One day, I would learn about how to change oil in a car. However, the following day I would learn my "goesintas." This term was used for multiplication and division. Although I was four years of age, he made learning fun and enjoyable. Moreover, he had a wonderful sense of humor. I still remember his jokes to this day. My strong sense of improving oneself through academics and life's experiences are the lasting contributions he gave me.
The second person I chose is my maternal great grandmother. She taught me how to pray, to think, and to pursue my dreams. She never allowed me to think along the lines of gender, age, or socioeconomic as biases. She may not agree with my decisions in reference to science experiments, art projects, and my need to recreate a classroom lesson learned in school but she was always supportive. For example, I learned about a sweet potato experiment from a children's show on television. I memorized all the items I needed and how to put the experiment together. She warned me ahead of time that if I wrecked the potato I would have to pay her back. She was amazed 6 weeks later that she had plant growing in one of her mason jars.
The third person is my maternal grandmother. The most creative person I have ever known. I learned from her to how to be skilled in many areas. She allowed me to observe every task she completed. I did not ask any questions, but the next day I would try to do the task myself. On one particular occasion, I saw her cut buttons off my grandfather's coat. I decided to cut the buttons off of my coast. Then, I learned how to sew the buttons back on my coat. In my latter years, she was the one who inspired me to go back to college with a simple comment. She said that it was too bad I never finished my university education. Each day, I go to school online I think of these words, and I am grateful.
The fourth person on my list is my godmother. Although I did not know her personally in early childhood, I was told about her. In my mind, I compared her to the fairy godmother from Cinderella. She inspired me at a young age. No one ever had a poor or mean word to say about her. Everyone from both sides of the family said that she was the nicest and accomplished woman that they had ever met. As the years past, I finally met my godmother. She always had away of making me feel accepted. Over the years I have and had made huge mistakes; however, she never pointed out mistake but how I was hurting myself in the long run. She still is my greatest influence to this day.
The fifth person on my list is my godfather. He was my superhero as a child. He could achieve anything academically and athletically. He was the example or the gold standard my grandfather would use when I was being lazy. I learned from him perseverance, persistence, and to keep my focus on my goals. Furthermore, he inspired me to achieve and deliver above and beyond the norm.
I liked that even though you said that you came from a split family, that you still had strong bonds with your grandparents. Not only did you have just contact with them, but they seemed like they were very influential parts of your life.
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post and its' nice to know you interact with your great grandmother how she taught you to pray, think, and pursue your dreams. Those are memories that you will never forget. I never met my great grandmother, it would of been nice to meet my great grandmother. I have my grandma and she is very close to me and my children intereact with their great grandmother.
ReplyDeleteyour post was great. I love that your had great relationships with your grandparents. sometimes those are the best memories. I remember all my great grandparents, they all live to over 100 years old. grand parents and great grandparents are great influences on children.
ReplyDeleteKathy- your post is excellent. I too had wonderful grandparents, and I come from a divorced family. I think that grandparents can really be a source of comfort and safety for children who need some stability.
ReplyDelete